The desire for exclusivity is as American as the sentiment in favor of democracy. Once having proclaimed our loyalty to the abstract idea that all men are created equal, we do everything in our power to prove ourselves unequal. Lewis Lapham – Money and Class in America
White Cheddar Cheese Alfredo w/ Lima Beans and Spinach
Time in kitchen: 7 minutes at most
- Put water on stove top leave the kitchen
- Come back 8 minutes later
- Put shells in water
- Set timer for 5 minutes
- Put frozen Spinach & Lima beans in microwave
- After 5-minute timer goes off turn microwave on for 2.5 minutes
- Strain pasta when microwave is done
- Put margarine in bowl of veggies, salt, and pepper, then let sit
- Put 1 tbsp milk in pot from boiling water
- Pour cheese packet over milk
- Put pasta back in pot with milk and cheese
- Fold pasta with spatula incorporating cheese and milk
- Pour pasta into container of choice
- Mix veggies and pour into container of choice
- Save leftovers to microwave next day
Total Cost: $1.28 ——– That’s Right!
Alfredo Shells from Whole Foods: $1.19/3 = .40 cents
Frozen Spinach from Whole Foods: $1.69 per 16oz/ 5 = .34 cents
Organic Frozen Lima Beans from Whole Foods: $2.69 per 16oz/ 5 = .54 cents
You might be saying, “but what about the protein?” There is an enormous amount of protein in lima beans, as well as 10g per serving of mac n’ cheese.
To which I say, “there is an enormous amount of protein in lima beans, as well as 10g per serving of mac n’ cheese.”
Amy’s Vegetarian Chili w/ Fritos, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Onions (optional), and Chives
Time in Kitchen: 10 Minutes or less
I timed myself and took 8 minutes including going to the garden and getting chives and taking photos
Total Cost: $3.8
Amy’s Spicy Chili: $4.49/2 = $2.25
Fritos: $3.69/4 = .93 cents
Crate and Barrel Cheddar (use the cheap stuff it melts better): $2.99/10 =.30 cents
Onion: .60/10 = .06 cents
Sour Cream: $3.89/ 15 = .26 cents
Chives: Nearly free
A dollop of sour cream is called a quenelle when it is shaped like a fancy football.
Picture of Ingredients:
While I was sitting in the post office waiting to submit my passport application, I watched as the postal worker became full of life every time he had an applicant who needed their photograph taken. He had a bit of a bounce in his step as he grabbed the camera. “Tilt your head up. A little bit less. That’s it.” He reviewed each picture meticulously while we waited patiently.
As we get older everything becomes more fragile. Our willingness to express what matters most to us decreases. These cherished belongings are kept closed and are rarely mentioned for fear that they may be destroyed or taken away.
My current hypothesis is that all of the world’s current problems are due to a lack of imagination.